The Minnesota Chapter of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) serves the state's housing and community development needs. Our mission is to be the leading housing and community development organization in Minnesota by promoting strong, viable communities for all Minnesotans, particularly those with low and moderate incomes. Our goal is to enhance the knowledge and effectiveness of our members through professional development, education and advocacy.
Minnesota NAHRO pursues its mission by providing a forum to exchange information and keep abreast of current community development strategies and best practices. Minnesota NAHRO provides valuable resources and educational opportunities through statewide conferences and trainings.
Our members include over 400 individuals, including agency commissioners; 150 Agency Members; and 50 other for profit and non-profit organizations. Our member agencies own and operate more than 21,000 public housing units across the state. In addition, our members administer affordable housing programs such as 31,000 Section 8 vouchers, over 10,000 rural development units, foreclosure prevention, homebuyer education and loan financing. In the jurisdictions they serve, member agencies also address community revitalization and economic development needs. The populations served by these programs are often the most vulnerable including:
- 64 percent of the households are headed by seniors or those with disabilities
- Nearly 75 percent of the residents of public housing have annual incomes of under $15,000.
- One third of public housing residents are children, many of whom are at high risk of homelessness or recently homeless;
Minnesota NAHRO and its member agencies are critical partners at the local level to address community redevelopment. Every day, the members of Minnesota NAHRO provide affordable housing and livable communities for all Minnesotans through the association of its agency members.
The Benefits of Membership
In accordance with the by-laws, the Election timeline is provided below. The Board of Directors has also drafted the attached Nominating Committee and Ballot Procedures for future elections to help guide the process and provide direction to members and staff. We welcome your comments.
- By July 20, 2011, Nominating Committee Recommends to the Board of Directors Candidates for 2011 Elections
- By July 22, 2011, Board of Directors approves Nominations for 2011 Elections
- By July 28, 2011, eligible voting members are notified of the candidates and the process to nominate members
- Nomination Period: Additional nominees must be received by the Treasurer/Secretary by August 12, 2011
- 2011 Slate of Candidates finalized and ballot prepared for mailing
- By August 23, 2011, ballots mailed to all eligible voting members
- To be counted, completed ballots must be returned to Minnesota NAHRO by September 16 OR deposited in the election box at the Annual Conference no later than 9am, Thursday, September 22, 2011
- Annual Meeting is September 22, 2011 at noon & 2011-2013 Board Members announced.
Welcome to the Minnesota NAHRO Elections Home Page
Minnesota NAHRO membership elects new Board of Directors for 2012 at its Annual Meeting, September 22 in Duluth. By using the links below, you can find out more about the elections process and timeline. Thank you for your support of Minnesota NAHRO and the election process. Your membership matters!
2011 Board of Directors
The membership of Minnesota NAHRO elected the following for the 2011-2013 Board of Directors. Thanks for taking the time to vote. Information on the new board is available below along.
Past President: DeeAnna Bakken, Executive Director, Jackson HRA
President: Jennifer Bergman, Executive Director, Brainerd HRA
Senior Vice President Randal Hemmerlin, Executive Director, Red Wing HRA
Treasurer/Secretary: Cheryl Bennett, Housing & Zoning Coordinator, City of Coon Rapids
Vice President Commissioners Richard Hench, Commissioner, Albert Lee HRA
Vice President Professional Development: Jennifer Keogh, Assistant Director of Housing Assistance, Dakota County CDA
Board Members at Large